MMC (7/6/2015)

 
The biting October wind whistled through the broken window of my gray Honda Civic. I shivered and pulled my coat up around my shoulders, glancing nervously in the rearview mirror to insure I wasn’t being followed, and pulled slowly into the parking lot of Starbucks. Turning off the engine, I slid out of the car, careful to lock it behind me before pocketing the key.  Nervously, I strode towards the building, keeping an eye out for the tall, dark haired man I had been warned about. I pulled the door open and slipped into the cozy coffee shop.
It took me only a few seconds to locate the pair I was to meet. The woman, who possessed blonde hair and chocolate brown eyes, looked up and saw me, offering a nod in confirmation. Trying to appear as though I was casually meeting up with some friends, I approached the couple, sliding into the seat across from them.
“Hello?”
“Burkett, is it?” responded the man. “We got you a coffee. Hope you like mochas.”
I nodded my thanks, although coffee didn’t seem very important to me at the moment.
The woman leaned forward confidentially. “So, what do you know?”
Speaking as quietly as I could, I filled them in.
“And that’s all I know,” I concluded eventually.
“Thank you, Burkett,” said the woman sweetly. “You’ve been most helpful. We should be going now. Enjoy your coffee.”
Together, she and her companion slid out of the booth, leaving me to finish my drink. I was feeling pretty good about myself, having accomplished my mission, until I drained the white cup of the liquid it held and beheld the message at the bottom.
You’ve been poisoned.
"They can’t do that," I told myself. But they could. Of course they could...and they did.
via


299 words. I used the picture and sentence prompts.
Thanks to Tessa Emily for hosting these!
 
post signature